Benefits of Being an Academy Member
When you join the American Academy of Family Physicians, you are automatically a member of your state chapter. Both organizations provide benefits and services for you.
Click the button to join online. View the AAFP member benefits here.
IAFP lends support over the length of your career with and from people who don’t necessarily work with you or for you in your offices.
Whether in live education meetings or committee teleconferences, IAFP is a place for family medicine physicians to come together without the stress of their daytime hats. To be in a comfortable nonthreatening environment amongst peers, and to share best practices, ideas with like‐minded dedicated professionals. Connections are made, friendships are formed!
IAFP committees and task forces enable members from any place in any stage to work on common interests, build on their knowledge, find solutions and work collaboratively to affect changes to help their colleagues and their patients. IAFP is a place for family medicine physicians to look to the future for themselves and for the future of their profession; to share about their past experiences, their current situations and their future hopes for themselves personally and professionally. We also offer benefits and discounts for members through our member benefits partners.
- IAFP offers the opportunity to stay informed and enlightened on legislative and government relations issues that can and will affect the primary care landscape here in Illinois. We provide tools and connections for those who are empowered to advocate and engage with their elected officials.
- Every two years our Spring into Action unites members across the career spectrum (student, resident and active physicians) and from around the state in a common advocacy week. Each member can represent IAFP and themselves in conversation with lawmakers on the issues that matter most to them and their community.
- IAFP Medical Education is high-quality CME developed by family physicians for family physicians on timely topics with relevant clinical and practice management education. Members can access free CME online and live through webinars at least once per month. The activities offered by IAFP speak directly to the needs of the primary care physician in a true effort to improve the caliber of care they provide to patients.
- Experience the value of our Annual Meeting, as well as Spring Conferences in the Chicago and central Illinois to provide comprehensive clinical up-to-date CME you can use the very next day.
- IAFP provides opportunities for members to develop CME and present at our conferences.
- We are here to keep you on task for recertification and re‐election. Our cme.iafp.com web site is the go‐to resource for CME to those that are up for re‐election. One weekend at our Annual Meeting in the fall provides more opportunities for members to get live CME or Knowledge Self‐Assessment Modules (KSA) for Maintenance of Certification.
- IAFP offers the opportunity for family physicians to be a spokesperson for primary care issues through multiple media outlets facilitated by our communications staff
- IAFP offers the opportunity to be involved in improving the state healthcare landscape with the possibility of catapulting oneself into a nationally recognized position at AAFP
- More women are physicians than ever before, especially in primary care. More than half (56%) of new physician members of AAFP are women. We’ve seen women physicians elected as the presidents of AAFP and IAFP in 2015. Our Women in Leadership group provides a gathering place, support and role models to address the unique challenges faced by women physicians in the changing health care landscape.
- IAFP offers a Foundation whose mission is to enhance the healthcare environment in Illinois by assuring Illinois citizens have access to family physicians' high quality, comprehensive, and affordable care ‐‐‐ by utilizing funding to support community programs, residents, medical students and physicians in Illinois